Anton Skaugset has been a registered patent agent since 1994. He initially worked in-house at Molecular Probes, Inc., drafting and prosecuting patent applications that protected its extensive catalog of fluorescent reagents and markers.
Anton moved to Portland and transitioned to private practice in 2001 when he joined Kolisch Hartwell. Although Anton has extensive experience with chemical and biotech applications, Kolisch Hartwell has given him the opportunity to work with a variety of clients across a wide range of technologies. Anton has relationships with several foreign patent firms that regularly entrust him to obtain U.S. patent protection for their clients in other countries, including China, Japan, Canada, Austria, Norway, and Finland.
Anton is also experienced at preparing and prosecuting U.S. design patents. Unlike a utility patent, a design patent protects the ornamental appearance of a product, and not its function. Also unlike a utility patent, it is the quality of the drawings in the application that is of primary importance.
Ph.D. Chemistry – 1992
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
B.A. Chemistry – 1987
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- National Association of Patent Practitioners
Selected Publications & Presentations
- “Generation of Reactive Metal Sulfides via the Thermolysis of Metal Acylthiolates” Feng, Q.; Krautscheid, H.; Rauchfuss, T. B.; Skaugset, A. E.; Venturelli, A. Organometallics 1995, 14, 297.
- “Base Hydrolysis of Coordinated Thiophene in (C5R5)Rh(C4Me4S)2+ : Nucleophilic Attack at Divalent Sulfur and the Reversible Cleavage of C-S Bonds” Skaugset, A. E.; Rauchfuss, T. B.; Wilson, S. R. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1992, 114, 8521.
- “Redistribution of Reduced Thiophene Ligands in the Conversion of (C5R5)Rh(C4Me4S) to [(C5R5)Rh]3(C4Me4S)2” Luo, S.; Skaugset, A. E.; Rauchfuss, T. B.; Wilson, S. R. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1992, 114, 1732.
- “Base Hydrolysis of Coordinated Thiophene: A Route from Thiophenes to Furans and the Preparation of [(C5Me5)RhS]4” Skaugset, A. E.; Rauchfuss, T. B.; Wilson, S. R. Organometallics 1990, 9, 2875.
- “Oxidation of Coordinated Thiophene: Preparation of Cp*Rh(tetramethylthiophene-S-oxide)” Skaugset, A. E.; Rauchfuss, T. B.; Stern, C. L. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1990, 112, 2432.
- “Electron-Transfer Activation of Coordinated Thiophene: Preparation and Desulfurization of (η5-C5Me5)Rh(η4-C4Me4S)” Ann E. Ogilvy, Anton E. Skaugset, and Thomas B. RauchfussOrganometallics, 1989, 8, 2739
- Roadmap for Drafting a Design Patent Application, National Association of Patent Practitioners 2014 Annual Meeting