Pierre Van Rysselberghe, a partner with Kolisch Hartwell, is an intellectual property attorney with over 20 years of experience in the full spectrum of patent, trademark, copyright, and trade-secret law. Pierre focuses his practice on global IP portfolio development for growing businesses, helping clients to develop IP strategies to support their domestic and international business goals. Pierre provides opinions and counseling to clients regarding obtaining and protecting IP rights through negotiation, licensing, and litigation in the U.S. and foreign countries.
Contact Pierre Contact Our Firm
After receiving a Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, Pierre worked as a senior scientist in research and development for SmithKline Corporation from 1981 to 1988. Pierre received his J.D. with honors from Golden Gate University in 1989. While in law school, Pierre began practice as a patent agent, then associate, with Limbach and Limbach in San Francisco, where his practice focused on technologies involving biotechnology and other chemical and mechanical inventions.
Pierre joined Kolisch Hartwell in 1992. His practice spans the full range of IP law services for individual inventors, growing businesses, and established corporations. Pierre has experience conducting due-diligence for public offerings, corporate acquisitions, and IP transfer, funding, and investment. Pierre has extensive experience negotiating IP licenses, providing freedom-to-operate opinions, and preparing, prosecuting, and enforcing patent and trademark rights in the U.S. and foreign countries.
Pierre can usually be found with family and friends on mountain trails, rivers, or beaches somewhere between Mt. Hood and the Northern Oregon Coast.
J.D. With honors – 1989
Golden Gate University Law School in San Francisco Achievement award for excellence in law and technology
Graduate courses in biology – 1983
U.C. Berkeley and University of Oregon<
B.A. Chemistry – 1980
Bar and Court Admissions
- Oregon State Bar
- State Bar of California
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Honors and Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rated Lawyer, AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5.0
AV® Preeminent™ and BV® Distinguished™ are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. See www.martindale.com.
- American Bar Associations (ABA)
- Oregon Intellectual Property Law Association
- San Francisco Intellectual Property Law Association
- Society of California Pioneers
- Multnomah Bar Association
Inventor on Issued Patents
- U.S. 4,678,757, DEVICE AND METHOD FOR WHOLE BLOOD SEPARATION AND ANALYSIS, issued: July 7, 1987
- U.S. 5,886,818, MULTI-IMAGE COMPOSITING, issued March 23, 1999
- U.S. 6,000,795, EYEGLASS RETAINER, issued December 14, 1999
- U.S. 6,450,640, EYEGLASS RETAINER, issued September 17, 2002